Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Reader Requests

You only get fifteen this time, and they're not in alphabetical order. None of the artists are repeated, including from last time, which made it more difficult, which accounts for the shortness. Also, I'm hungry, and want to go and make my dinner. But, there you are: fifteen more examples of lyrics that piss all over most of VHbloody1's list.

1. They called him MC squared
cos he rapped like no other - Super Furry Animals, Hermann Loves Pauline, Phil

2. You'd better throw away the spoons and all the other dirty things
Cos when the law arrives this evening, I don't think they'll wait and ring - Spacemen 3, Call The Doctor

3. Oh, I didn't realise you wrote poetry
I didn't realise you wrote such bloody awful poetry - Frankly Mr Shankly, The Smiths, Phil

4. I am descendants of the builders of your street
Tenders to your cotton money
I am hip-hop - Hip Hop, Mos Def

5. Far above the ocean, deep under the sea
There's a river running dry because of you and me - Goddess on a Hiway, Mercury Rev, Tom

6. Some people think they jive me
I know they must be crazy - Walk On Gilded Splinters, Dr. Johm

7. Sunday morning waking up
Can't even focus on a coffee cup - Where Do I Begin, Chemical Brothers, Phil

8. I thought I could organise freedom
how scandinavian of me - Hunter, Bjork

9. Paramedics fell into the wound
Like a rehired scab at a barehanded plant - Invalid Litter Department, At The Drive-In

10. She don't do major credit cards
I doubt she does receipts - When The Sun Goes Down, Arctic Monkeys, Jarndyce

11. I trapped a spider underneath a glass
I kept it for a week to see how long he'd last - England Made Me, Black Box Recorder

12. But I believe in this - and it's been tested by research
That he who fucks nuns will later join the church - Death or Glory, The Clash, Phil

13. I can't believe life is so complex
When I just wanna sit here and watch you undress - This Is Love, PJ Harvey, Simon

14. I'm over the city, fucking the future
I'm high inside your kiss - Eric's Trip, Sonic Youth

15. Sometimes we ride in a taxi to the ends of the city
Like big stars in the back seat like skeletons ever so pretty - The Asphalt World, Suede

Update: Embarassingly, listening to the song in question over the weekend, I found that I had in fact got the lyrics to #3 wrong, and that there's a much better couplet in the song anyway (I want to live and I want to Love/I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of ring any bells, anyone?). Clearly, the reason I'm bad at these when other people do them is that I have a memory like a leaky sieve. Apart from for my own mistakes.

Update II: I've announced them all, because no-one had been guessing for some time...

13 comments:

Phil said...

This was a bit harder. I recognised six, but only three of them actually evoked a specific song (I googled the other three & verified that I had in fact recognised them).

1. SFA, "Herman loves Pauline"
7. Chemical Brothers, "Where do I begin" (I think)
12. the Clash, "Death or glory"

rachele said...

Gah! It's really quite harder...none of them ring any bells. Will keep thinking, but am not optimistic.

Tom said...

Um... number 5 is 'Goddess on a highway' by Mercury Rev. I think 10 is by the Artic Monkeys but I'd need to look on Google to be sure. Must... resist...

Rob Jubb said...

Goddess on a hiway, yes. #10, maybe, maybe not. I'm still in awe of Phil's knowledge of song lyrics...

Jarndyce said...

So who's that girl there
I wonder what went wrong so that she had to roam the streets
She don't do major credit cards
I doubt she does receipts
It's all not quite legitimate
And what a scummy man
Give him half a chance I bet he'll rob you if he can
I can see it in his eyes yeah that he's got a driving ban
Among some other offences


It's the Monkeys, 10, but sadly I don't know any of the song titles because all I have is their demo recordings. Sorry.

The rest? Not a clue. Only got the Furries, that's it. One sounds like something Muse would sing. Otherwise, I'm stuck.

[That Monkeys song - it's not Scummy or Scumbag is it? Just got a flash from memory somewhere.]

Rob Jubb said...

No Muse anywhere, but #10 is the Arctic Monkeys (the song's called 'When The Sun Goes Down'). #3, #8, #13 and #15 should all be relatively easy though, even if the other ones are verging on the wilfully obscure. Maybe Phil'd like to tell us which ones he googled...

Jarndyce said...

Looking again, 13 has to be Depeche Mode. If it isn't on Violator, it should be. I know the lyric from somewhere, anyway.

And 14, too. This is hard. I'm no match for Phil at this, I'm afraid.

Rob Jubb said...

I don't own any Depeche Mode, so...
#13 did get a fair amount of airplay when it was released though, and #14 is a really damn good song.

Phil said...

The three I half-recognised were 3, 6 and 13 - and since you've supplied a lyric I'd recognise in a flash I'll cop #3 anyway (the Smiths, "Frankly Mr Shankly"). I think I've only actually heard #6 once (over a PA, loud, immediately before Julian Cope came on stage), but it's one of those songs you feel like you've known forever.

Donald, does this mean you've been hanging around that there MyPlace thing like the young people? I'm deeply impressed. (Unless of course you actually are one of these young people, in which case I apologise for assuming otherwise. You should talk to Rob, I believe he's young.) Incidentally, "WTSGD" was originally called either "Scummy man" or "Scummy", so you were basically there.

Rob Jubb said...

You believe semi-correctly, whereas I still can't quite believe I totally forgot about the venereal disease line in Frankly... Twenty five with more than a decade on the fags and booze doesn't feel so young.

Simon said...

13 is "This is Love" by PJ Harvey.

Rob Jubb said...

Indeed it is. I was slightly surprised no-one got that before.

Jarndyce said...

Gah, Sonic Youth. I want shooting for not getting that one. My favourite band ever, ever being, erm, Sonic Youth... After New Order, anyway.

Phil: I thought I'd heard "Scummy" or something similar somewhere. I know someone who works for the label, that's why I got the jump on them. Pure second-hand cachet, I'm afraid. (And I'm 35, which I'm guessing is roughly what you thought I was?)