Thursday, July 07, 2005

Today's Events

All I have to say is that, although so far as I know, no-one I know has been harmed, the large number of people I know in my home city includes friends who live on Brick Lane, one of whom was in Aldgate East station at half eight this morning, twenty minutes before the bomb went off. Both my parents, my sister, friends of the family, most of the people I know at home, use the tube to travel to work: it could've been them, any of them. I used to go to work through Edgware Road: it could've been me. That hurts, and hurts in a way I suspect it can only hurt for someone to whom it is that close to.

2 comments:

Pearsall Helms said...

Yeah, Edgware Road station is just ten minutes walk from my parents' place. Way too close to home.

Rob Jubb said...

Pearsall,

thanks for your email yesterday: it was a relief to know your parents were out of the country. It was too close to home. I don't know how New Yorkers felt after 9/11 but the post went through a number of revisions, and at one point it had something like 'for all the 'Ich bein einer Berliner' claims, this was our city': this was my home they struck at, and it is my and every other Londoner's hurt, in a way it is not anyone else's.