Friday, April 22, 2005

Linkage

Stumbling and Mumbling has a piece up on the changes he'd like to see made to the electoral system. I don't think what he's suggesting is a very good idea, but it's interesting anyway. Also, I want to plug some of my fellow students' work on lotteries as a selection method for democratic institutions, which I mention in the comments.

A number of people link to this BBC piece about celebrity endorsements of the main political parties in Britain. Harry's Place highlights this quote from Noel Gallagher on what might happen if the Tories get in:

"Phil Collins is threatening to come back and live here. And let's face it, none of us want that".

Now, I've pointed out (or at least, linked to people pointing this out) that the Tories are very unlikely to get back in, seeing as how the electoral system is vastly stacked against them, but if we're going to be running around threatening people that an outcome which is really unlikely will happen, at least let's make the threats vaguely farcical. So I like this particular threat.

Also, John Band does a bit of basic investigative journalism on a piece by apparently lovable upper-class twit Boris Johnson, and finds that it's a load of crap.

Finally, there may be increasingly less blogging going on here over the next couple of months, as I have finals in about eight weeks.

No comments: